Most call it compounding, but we think its more than that. So we call it personalized medicine. When we personalize a medication we are taking the raw active drug ingredient and personalizing it in a strength, dosage form, or combination treatment which is not commercially available. We work directly with you and your prescriber to get the medication made for you.
Here are 6 reasons why we might personalize a medication
- Unique dosage forms such trans-dermal gels, trochees, “chewies”, and lollipops. We like preparing trans-dermal gels and trochees because they bypass first pass metabolism which allows medications like hormones which a large portion of active drug is lost due to metabolism as it is prepared by the stomach to enter the body.
- Lollipops are great options for kids and anyone needing something to treat a condition in the mouth.
- Chewies are treats we make for pets usually we make them in chicken or beef flavor.
- Medications free of problem-causing ingredients such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol.
- Combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance.
- Medications that are not commercially available because of an increased demand or chemical shortage.